In this regard, NIFTEM is in the process of setting up of an International Centre of Excellence in Food Safety and Quality.
In the present era of globalization and global food trade, it is essential to address the present issues of Food Safety & Quality and to enable and facilitate our agri-produce and the processed food products. In this regard, NIFTEM is in the process of setting up of an International Centre of Excellence in Food Safety and Quality.
Objectives of the Centre of Excellence
- Undertake Projects for Providing Solutions to Food Industry
The Centre would undertake projects to provide solutions to the problems being faced by the food industry related to their requirements of:-
Conduct Training Programmes for Upgradation of Skills
- Analytical studies for development of new processes & products and improvements/modifications in the existing products/processes.
- Studies for shelf life and enhancement of the existing shelf life of the products.
- Studies for food fortification and storage/stability of fortified foods.
- Studies for development of nutraceuticals and functional foods.
- Studies for new analytical method development and validation.
- Studies for development and characterization of new packaging material and studying the food packaging interactions & compatibility.
Serve as the Centre for CODEX and Support for FSSAI
- The Centre of Excellence would also conduct training programs (theoretical as well as hands on training) on the use of various analytical techniques for the professionals from the various Food Processing Industries, Food Regulators & Food Safety Officers from both India and Abroad.
Serve the Industry by Providing an Accredited State-of–Art Food Testing Laboratory to ensure Quality and Safety of Food
- The Centre of Excellence would also serve as the Centre for CODEX activities for Harmonization of food standards and setting up of MRL values.
- The centre would also facilitate FSSAI for undertaking Regulatory and Policy Research.
Events Organized Under the Banner of International Centre of Excellence During 2013–2014
- A state-of-the-art, accredited Food Testing Laboratory for conducting physical, chemical and microbiological analysis of all kinds of food products would form part of the International Centre of Excellence for Food Safety & Quality. The laboratory shall fulfill all the conditions required for a Referral Laboratory as per the guidelines of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- The Institute has sought funding from ICAR for the setting up of the Food Testing Lab. The ICAR has conveyed their in-principle approval for a grant-in-aid of Rs. 852.39 lakh subject to certain terms & conditions.
- Process of procurement of Equipment, Glassware, Chemicals, Furniture and other requirements is in progress. Meanwhile the internal designing and the civil work inside the designated laboratory space is also under way. The Food Testing Lab is expected to be commissioned by end of September, 2014 and the Centre of Excellence for Food Safety and Quality is expected to be commissioned by February, 2015.
During the year 2013-14, the following Conference, Training Programs and Workshops were conducted under the banner of ICEFSQ.
- International conference on: “Emerging Food Safety Risks: Challenges for Developing Countries and Workshop on Food Safety and Quality” on 9-11 January, 2014 at the NIFTEM Campus, Kundli, Sonepat.
- A half-day workshop followed by one day of Food Safety Seminar “Food Safety Risk Mitigation in the Food Chain.” This was organized jointly by NIFTEM–CII FACE on March 12-13, 2014 during “Aahar” at Pragati Maidan.
- A fifteen days training program for African Nationals on “Integrated Food Management: Farm to Fork” organized under the aegis of Indo-Africa Forum Summit.